April 09, 2013

FANTASTIC READS

I haven't had a week off since last September, so after a great internship I look forward to a few days of sweet nothing. That also involves catching up on my reading. I can't wait to get started in the "Fantastic Man: Buttoned-Up" paperback. It's part of Penguin Books' East London Line, and was given to me by my dear Boby. The book is part of a series that celebrates the 150th anniversary of the London underground and was edited and written by the venerable editors-in-chief of Fantastic Man Magazine: Gert Jonkers and Jop Van Bennekom. 'Buttoned-Up' explores the marvel of why East London boys button their shirts all the way up. I actually prefer a shirt that's done up to perfection, it allows for a sense of strict utilitarianism that I'm quite drawn to. Leaving one or two buttons undone can just give the impression of indecision, of taking a noncommittal stance towards dressing. The book also features outstanding writers such as Alexander Fury (whom I recently interviewed), Paul Flynn and Simon Reynolds with photography by Benjamin Alexander Huseby. And when I'm finished reading it, I've still got the new issue of my absolute favourite magazine, Fantastic Man, to dive into. Bliss.
So, what are you reading at the moment? I'd love to hear what else is good!

Buttoned-Up, Fantastic Man SS13 and The Gentlewoman SS13 lie atop eachother. 
The cap by is by A Cut Above.

(Tip: use the word 'tube' and receive a 30% discount when purchasing the paperback.)

No comments: