December 30, 2011

RESOLUTIONS

I'm not really the guy to make New Year's resolutions. I don't believe it's feasible to undergo a personality bypass at the strike of a clock or the drop of a giant shiny ball. However, I do appreciate the sentiment. We all have our vices, character flaws and oddities. I wish I wasn't so damn lanky and bony, but I know I'll never have the stamina to work out. "Γνῶθι σεαυτόν", the Greek used to say ("Know thyself"). It's never fun to have to tell yourself you really ought to party less or be more selective when it comes to bedpartners (I am not referring to myself, cheeky), so I've devised a more fun list of resolutions:

MY STYLE RESOLUTIONS FOR 2012
I. PRINTS & COLOUR
Despite people telling me quite often that I have the skin tone for colour and prints, I scarcely ever wear bright clothes. My wardrobe is an amalgam of blues, greys and blacks, and only recently have I begun incorporating more colour into my wardrobe. I'd like to keep on doing so in 2012 and really go for it in a big way.
              
Asos
II. THE BAG
I'm really going to try to save up for that one splurge I ache so longingly to make: a gorgeous leather designer bag. It's such a great investment, if you go for a more classic design. And with all my technology failing on me in the last months I've had to put every penny towards that. But now all of it is settled, I can begin to think of my future baby once more.
via www.mrporter.com
Marc by Marc Jacobs
III. DARE
I want to dare even more next year, fashionwise. Like Tom Ford said: "Look at all those tribal costumes or the classical times: fashion really expressed a wearer's personality and was truly outrageous. I'd like to see more of that again."
And he'd be right, people are way too afraid to stand out, and I must admit that I sometimes am as well. So, yeah, f*ck 'em!
The late Francesco Cominelli, a great icon of mine, wasn't afraid to stand out (and looked amazing doing so).
IV. TALK
I've already met so many amazing people in this industry, I couldn't be more grateful. So for 2012, I don't want this to change and I want to keep meeting new faces and conversing with the greats. 
Who knows, maybe I'll meet Jefferson Hack? One can dream.
V. LEARN
And relating to the previous resolution: I want to keep on learning. There is so much about fashion I still need to find out, because the learning never stops. So I want to keep surrounding myself with savants, and contribute to my general knowledge.
Finally, I really want to thank you for another wonderful Style For Guys year, I've had such good fun and I hope you'll stick around in 2012. CUZ DA WORLD IS GUNA END LOL.
Now, what about you? What do you want to accomplish in the new year? Let me know!
     
Oh, and be sure to listen to this song by Dorian and The Grays. I went to school with these guys and I think they're going to be big!
Street style phot. by Tommy Ton

No comments: